Thursday, January 24, 2013

Shantell’s Weight Loss Chronicles: Yummy Chicken Veggie Soup

This year, like so many of you and like so many years before, I resolved to lose weight BUT this time around instead of doing the latest, greatest fad diet I decided to consult a dietician who helped me create a balanced, healthy eating plan. But with a schedule that includes a full time job, two businesses, a LBDC chapter to lead, and a dissertation to write I quickly came to the realization that making sure I get all of the required portions/nutrients/good stuff in one meal is a CHALLENGE. Per my dietician’s advice dinner should include 6oz of protein, ½ cup of starch, and unlimited veggies. So I’ve decided to sweep the dust off the crock pot and make meals that meet all of my dietician’s requirements in one convenient pot.  

Here’s my yummy chicken veggie soup recipe (Disclaimer: the measurements are approximate. I’m a “season to your taste” type of cook so feel free to adjust to your taste). Feel free to use frozen or canned veggies.

What you need:
4-6oz chicken breast
2 tbsp. of olive oil
1 tbsp. of black pepper
1 tbsp. of garlic powder
1 tbsp. of seasoning salt
2 tbsp. of parsley flakes
2 cups (or 16 oz.) of whole kernel sweet yellow corn
2 cups (or 16 oz.) of cut green beans (I prefer fresh cut over French cut)
1 cup (or 8 oz.) of sweet peas
1 cup (or 8 oz.) of sliced carrots
2 cups (or 16 oz.) of tomato sauce
1 cup (or 8 oz.) of water
½ cup (or 4 oz.) of tomato paste

What to do:
Warm olive oil in a large pan. Season chicken using a little of the seasoning salt, garlic powder, and black pepper.  Lightly  brown the chicken in the olive oil. Slice chicken into strips or chunks while it’s browning. WARNING: Do not let the chicken get crispy! Drain the oil from chicken.

In your slow cooker add the tomato sauce, remaining black pepper, garlic powder, seasoning salt, and parsley flakes. Add veggies and chicken. Add tomato paste and water. Stir.

I usually let this soup simmer all day but it’s actually ready to eat in about an hour, freezes well, and is very filling (i.e., no bread/rolls/crackers necessary). In one serving you have 6 oz. of protein, ½ cup or less of starch (carrots), and unlimited veggies! The perfect balanced meal.

If you’d like to know more about the meal plan I’m following please feel free to email me by clicking here.

Enjoy ladies!
Shantell Malachi
Director, LBDC Richmond Chapter

No comments:

Post a Comment