Thursday, May 30, 2013

LBDC Has Arrived In Metropolitan Detroit!


The Little Black Dress Club is rapidly growing across the US. With chapters in California, Nashville, Chicago, Columbus, Alabama and more, our national club is getting noticed! We are so happy to introduce Michelle Barrett from Detroit, Michigan to our family of LBDC Directors.

Energetic and very enthusiastic, we think Michelle is going to do a terrific job in bringing our women’s social club to the Metropolitan Detroit area.  In her spare time Michelle enjoys reading, comedy shows, shopping, funny movies, getting pampered, just about anything near big body of water, learning new things, her family and cats!

Michelle believes in working hard so she can play hard and laugh until it hurts! Read on to learn more about Michelle, learn what she has in store for her new chapter and then take time to welcome her!

~Shay Ashcraft
National Director, LBDC

 
I heard about LBDC from one of my best friends, Bridget Flowers.  She grew up in the Detroit area, but relocated to Nashville where she learned about and joined the Little Black Dress Club.  Bridget knows that I enjoy being around fun loving, positive and purposeful women and thought it would be a good thing for me to look into.  She shared a lot of information about the Nashville chapter and what she knew about the organization and I really liked what I heard.  We knew there wasn’t an active chapter in the Detroit area, so after many lengthy conversations & hours on the national website I decided to pursue becoming a director.

I decided to become a LBDC director because I am surrounded by amazing women.  I know some of the women from my children’s school activities, from work, from my neighborhood, church, etc.  One of the common threads we all share is the fact that there are very few of us who feel as though we have enough time for ourselves; we certainly do not take time for ourselves on a regular basis.  I find it interesting that this seems to be a common thread amongst many of us whether we are married with children or single with or without children, and so on.  With that being said, becoming a LBDC director was a good way for me to take a more proactive approach to finding time for myself, while encouraging other women to do the same.  Sometimes a simple happy hour with friends is just what we need to relax & unwind in order to be at our best when we get home.

Our first event will likely be a happy hour in either Ferndale or Royal Oak since those cities are pretty central and accessible from major highways & freeways.  We are in the process of planning the first event now.

Our goal is to have at least two activities each month.  One would take place during the week (i.e. a Happy Hour) and one on the weekend (i.e. brunch, or something cultural like going to the Detroit Institute of Arts).

Some of the other ideas I have for us are:

·       High Tea at The Townsend Hotel

·       Dinner & a movie

·       Wine Tastings

·       Cooking Class

·       Something fitness oriented like a Self Defense Class, a Zumba Class or walking along Detroit’s beautiful riverfront.

I love the people here.  I am originally from Cleveland, Ohio and also lived in Oak Park, IL and miss both of those areas.  I have lived here for almost 13 years and can honestly say I have met some truly amazing people here.  Living in the Midwest part of the country is great because we get to truly experience each of the four seasons!  With that in mind, I hope to plan activities that are season appropriate.  The Detroit area has a ton of rich & cultural history like Motown, all things automotive and architectural.   As a result, the options for us to play and learn are numerous!

I survived a very serious and scary car accident in December 2012 that changed a lot of my perceptions about myself and my life.  I came across this quote shortly after the accident “Happiness cannot be traveled to, owned, earned, worn or consumed. Happiness is the spiritual experience of living every minute with love, grace, and gratitude. ~Denis Waitley  I love this quote because it is a reminder that we should live in and appreciate each moment.  The past moments are over, and future moments have not presented themselves.  Life these days is often filled with a variety of actions that require multi-tasking.  Doing what we can to be consciously aware of each moment is essential to being a happy and grounded individual.

I think women have the amazing ability to be supportive and protective of one another.  We see this all of the time when a woman is expecting a baby.  I recently read an article in Prevention Magazine that discusses the eight (8) different friendships that every woman should have.  Here they are:

1.     A Childhood  Friend

2.     A New Friend

3.     A Work Out Friend

4.     A Younger Friend

5.     Your partner’s Friend

6.     Your Mom

7.     Your Self

8.     A Spiritual Friend
 
It is my hope that the Detroit Metro Area Chapter of LBDC will be a great tool to help our members establish and nurture at least one of these eight types of friendships! Click here to email me for more information on joining our club!


~Michelle Barrett
Metro Detroit Director, LBDC

 

No comments:

Post a Comment