Friday, February 22, 2013

In The Spotlight - Tonya Overstreet

One of our most popular features on the LBDC blog has quickly become the Member Spotlight. Highlighting our spectacular members from each of our many chapters, the spotlight shines this time on Tonya Overstreet from Nashville, TN. What better way to celebrate Tonya’s recent 36th birthday than by telling our readers what a great person, friend and LBDC member she has become?

Working as a Systems Support Coordinator at Vanderbilt, Tonya has many hobbies and interests. An avid reader of a variety of genres, such as mystery, memoir, chick lit, true crime, and some YA Lit, she also enjoys writing when she feels the need to be creative. Keeping up with a popular blog http://frogdiva.com, Tonya and her husband also enjoy discovering new restaurants, especially local, non-chain establishments. They also have a dog named Shelton who is quite a star on Facebook with his own Fan Page.

One of Tonya’s favorite activities has been mentoring a Little Sister through Big Brothers Big Sisters since 2009. She’s now 11 years old and Tonya said her lil’ sis has truly been a blessing in her life. A fun side note about Tonya: she is often known as being a huge fan of bacon, and she says she has no problem with that label!

Tonya has lots to look forward to in the coming months. Her husband has a conference in April that he attends every year in Las Vegas, and Tonya gets to go along with him as a vacation for herself. “We have friends who live in Las Vegas, so I always have plenty to do while there, including shopping and finding adventures,” she says.
Tonya and her husband were married on Leap Day (February 29th) 2012 and together they are planning a big trip every 4 years when there actually is a February 29th to celebrate their very special anniversary. Coming up in 2016, they are planning their Leap Day wedding anniversary to be in Hawaii.

Tonya became a member of the Little Black Dress Club in October of 2012. In discussing her LBDC membership Tonya says, “I looked into joining the LBDC a year prior to actually joining when I saw it on Meetup. There were several time conflicts for me, as well as general concern that I wouldn’t fit in or the group wouldn’t accept me. I kept talking myself out of going until Game Night in October was announced on the Meetup page, and I talked my co-worker into going with me so that I could escape if I felt uncomfortable. Needless to say, I was incredibly wrong in my assumptions about the group, and felt welcomed before the first event was over.” Tonya has enjoyed several outings with the LBDC since our first game night. She says she loves that even though we all have different ages, lives and backgrounds, we seem to all click when we’re together. “I couldn’t think of a more fabulous group of women I’d enjoy finding adventures with” she says.

“I tell many women about the LBDC and maybe it’s not for everyone, but I can’t help but feel like they are missing out by not joining” Tonya said. Her favorite quote happens to be one by Tom Petty; “Most things I worry about never happen anyway.”

I’m a huge Tom Petty fan too, Tonya. Great quote and so true. Thanks for being in our spotlight and thanks for bringing such fun to the Nashville Chapter. Our group would not be the same without you in it!

- Shay Ashcraft
National Director, LBDC

No comments:

Post a Comment