Thursday, December 13, 2012

Making Time for You (and Little Black Dress Club)!


Do you often say “I don’t have time for that!”  YES you do!  YOU are in charge of your time.  I know many of us; myself included, have spouse and children that can dictate where our time is spent or you might have an 80+ hour week work schedule.  Here are some tips that have helped me make the most of my day.

1) Calendar: My family has an electronic calendar so that I can look at my phone or computer at any time and see what is scheduled.  You can also do this on a paper calendar as well, just make sure you have it with you ALL THE TIME.  When people ask me if I can attend something I immediately go to my calendar and see what is happening that week.  I love being able to look at my week or month in a glance and see what I have going on at all times.

2) Set time limits: If you want to read a book, go through a drawer, or clean out your closet, but you only have an hour.  Don’t say well I only have an hour, so I’m not going to do that.  Set your timer and spend that hour getting your project done or spending quality time doing what you want.  Your timer will ensure you don’t go past that as I know sometimes you can get “lost” in a project.

3) Limit Distractions: I honestly didn’t make this a conscious decision, but in the last 2 years I’ve noticed I don’t really watch TV.  I feel like I get so much done without having that as a distraction.  Find out what distractions you have such as Facebook or T.V. and remove them or limit them with your timer.

4) Look & Feel your best:   Have everything packed and ready to go for the next day, know what you and you’re children are going to wear and whatever you do...Get 8 hours of sleep!

I wake up about 20-30 minutes more than I really need to because I hate that morning rush.  I can have quiet time to read, drink my coffee, and eat my breakfast before anyone is up.  If one of my kids gets up, that’s ok too.  I have had some of the best conversations with my daughter at 6:30am.

5) Support System: Another key in managing your time is having a great support system. Surround yourself by family and friends who are supportive of you and make sure you are a known support system to them as well. I’m thankful for the many wonderful, supportive women from LBDC that I have met along the way.  Don’t be weary to ask for help or just take a couple minutes to have a conversation on tips from someone who has been there.

6)Fun: Don’t forget to schedule in the fun with LBDC or leave your schedule open for fun!  Call a friend for a sporadic run or shopping trip.  You need “you” time to rest and recover from the stresses of life.

I hope these tips help you so you can do it all!
~Suzy Hicks
Co Director, Columbus Chapter

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment