How many women do you know whose favorite movie is “The Devil Wears Prada”? Correct answer: All of them!
Did you know that Patricia Field, the costume designer, also did the wardrobe for “Sex and the City”, the series and the movie?
With the fall season upon us, why not grab all your girlfriends and get together for a DWP themed GNO? Light a fire, pour some wine and put The Devil Wears Prada in the Blu-ray!
While watching the movie, whip up a Grilled (Jarlsberg) Cheese Sandwich and test your knowledge to see who the biggest fan is! Have prizes such as a copy of the DVD to award to the biggest fan. Draw names to try and answer trivia questions, or just take turns sharing your favorite scenes, fashion accessories or characters.
The Little Black Dress Club has incorporated The Devil Wears Prada into several of their events and always with much success! Here are a few facts, hints, goofs and trivia questions to help get you started with your DIY DWP party!
Make sure you stay tuned to the very end for 2 fabulously simple DWP recipes! And don’t forget to join us in time for the next fabulous event in your area!
Film Title: The Devil Wears Prada Release Year: 2006
Awards: Nominated for 2 Oscars - Best Achievement in Costume Design: Patricia Field;
Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role: Meryl Streep
1. Patricia Field, the costume designer, also did the wardrobe for “Sex and the City”, the series and the movie.
2. David Frankel, the director, directed 6 episodes of “Sex and the City” between 2001 and 2003.
3. Meryl Streep chose the white wig she wears as Miranda.
4. Patricia Field estimates Miranda’s coat count to be between 40 and 45 in the film.
5. The picture of Andy’s family, shown after her first scene working one-on-one with Miranda, includes Anne Hathaway’s mother, Kate.
1. Continuity: In the first part of the movie, Andy buys a bagel from the bakery. When she is crossing the street, there is no sign of the bagel. But in the next shot of her going down the stairs, she's eating the bagel again.
2. Continuity: The height of the candle in the cupcake alternates between shots.
3. Continuity: Christian gets a haircut between dinner with Andy in Paris and walking around the city with her later that evening.
4. Revealing mistakes: The first morning Andy is racing to get to the office, the city scene shows people all in summer clothing, but when the camera pans to Andy and those around her, they are all in fall/winter clothing.
1. How did you feel about the way Miranda and Emily treated Andy in the workplace? How has your personal experience differed or not?
2. Andy is asked to give up her personal life and identity in some ways for her job at “Runway”. Describe a time in your life when you may have succumbed to a similar pressure for family, relationship or work.
3. David Frankel, comments that the movie “is about a woman who embraces the “power” of the job, not the “perks” of the job. What do you think about his comment and what motivates her?
4. What was your first boss or work experience like?
5. What defines a “successful woman” for you today?
Put on your favorite sweats and make some snacks!
Grilled (Jarlsberg) Cheese Sandwich
About 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
4 slices firm white bread
4 to 6 ounces Jarlsberg cheese, thinly sliced
1. Spread 1 side of bread slices with butter.
2. Mound cheese on unbuttered side of 2 slices. Set
bread, buttered side up, on cheese.
3. Place sandwiches in frying pan and cook, covered, on
medium-low heat until cheese is soft and bread is
browned, about 12 minutes total; turn sandwiches once.
4. Remove from pan, cut in half diagonally and in half
again and serve hot. Makes 8 triangles.
The Devil PEARS Prada
From the folks at Absolut
4 oz Absolut Pear
1/2 oz Apple Juice
1 oz White Grape Juice
1 1/2 oz Peach Puree
1 oz Lime Juice
Shake all ingredients and strain into two martini glasses.
Garnish with a pear slice.
“Goofs for The Devil Wears Prada”. USA: Internet Movie Database. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0458352/goofs. December 7, 2008.
“Happy Hour: The Devil PEARS Prada”. USA: Yumsugar. http://www.fanpop.com/external/16015. December 7, 2008.
“TV Dinners: The Devil Wears Prada – Grilled Cheese Sandwich”. USA: Yumsugar. http://www.yumsugar.com/145548. December 7, 2008.